Wednesday 20 October 2010

Painting Post #1

This is the first post about painting....there will be many more I am sure as we do like to paint!

I know a lot of parents who don't like painting at home because it is classed as 'messy' and tend to leave this area of creativity to toddler groups and pre-school!

So I thought I'd start off my "Painting with kids 101" with some less messy alternatives!

This post shows using clear colouring book pictures for painting and some age appropriate resources.

Yesterday my 4 year old and 1 year old asked to paint, they started off with plain paper but then my daughter (the 4yo) asked for a picture to colour in with paints. We have quite a few colouring books with bold clear pictures in so I tore out some pages for them to paint.

My daughter was using a simple palette of water colours- I bought these in Woolworths (may it rest in peace!!) but have picked some cheap ones up in Tesco as well. I find water colours great for a quick fix of painting, I don't need to dirty lots of pots with bright poster paint, one brush can be used with one pot for washing and they are more contained and less messy. A found it very easy to get the colours she needed and also confidently experimented with mixing colours in the lid of the paint box. She generally doesn't have the patience for colouring in but really enjoyed painting in the pictures- I think the speed she could fill the spaces really helped her!


T who is 20 months old uses bottle paints to paint. These are small bottles of paint (these are from Sainsbury's) with a gauze top to them that means small amounts of paint are released at a time causing minimal mess. I have found, similarly with felt tip pens, he tends to get it all over his hands but the mess seems to be confined to there!! He loves using them and really helps him with learning his colours. The paints do say not suitable for 0-3years but I take this as "he can use them with close supervision!" This is his masterpiece- he obviously didn't spend as long on his as his sister!!!


Have fun........and get those paints out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment